Wednesday 11 May 2011

If you don't ask, you don't get...

About 10 days ago, my Dad emailed me to let me know that there is an exhibition beginning at the end of May entitled Fifties, Fashion and Emerging Feminism. He thought that, considering my Retro Girls project, I'd be interested in attending the Private View. What I actually thought when I got that email, however, was "I want to be in that exhibition".

The show is held in a gallery connected to a firm of solicitors, Collyer Bristow. I couldn't find any information on the internet so I called them up. They gave me the number of the curator and I called her to tell her about my project. As I expected, she said that it was a bit late in the day, they were writing the press release etc, so not this time.

Then, five minutes later, she called me back saying that she and her partner had just looked at my website and they did like my project, and did think it would fit very well. They happened to be in a cafe in Clapham Common - I picked up my portfolio and raced over. An hour later, after a very pleasant coffee and chat, I had 3 pictures in the show.

Needless to say I am very excited! And very flattered that space was made for me at this late stage. Obviously it means I am not featured on the printed card, but I sneaked into the press release and will be on the website and other information. It just shows that, if you don't ask, you don't get...



The show runs from 25th May - 21 September, so there's plenty of time to go and see it! As it's part of a solicitors, it's view by appointment, and only during office hours, but it's dead central (near Holborn tube) and just a quick phone call should suffice. The exhibition features prints from the V&A archive by photographer John French, who was working in the 1950's, and new commissions on the theme by artists Alice Angus with Fee Doran, and Freddie Robins. The show is curated by Day&Gluckman, a partnership of two lovely women, Lucy Day and Eliza Gluckman. The private view is on the 25th May.

The address of the gallery is: 4 Bedford Row, London, WC1R 4TF. Tel: 0207 242 7363. Click here for a map.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...